Purl The City : A woolly city to celebrate the opening of Purl City Yarns, Manchester
To celebrate Manchester’s brand new independent yarn store ‘Purl City Yarns’ we invite you take part in a new collaborative knitting and crochet project....
Purl City Yarns invites you to make a knitted or crocheted cityscape feature for our 2D woolly city, which will be on permanent show at the shops contemporary gallery ‘ The Purl Gallery’.
We will reward you with a 10% discount off your first instore or online purchase at Purl City Yarns, just for taking part!!
Like that sound of that ??? ….Well read on……>>>>
We would like ‘Purl The City’ to be part way built for the opening of the store in early October 2010, after which we would still like to receive lots of knitted and crocheted pieces to add to the project.
What you need to make.......
(we'll have example pieces to show you soon!!)
The full size of the knitted and crocheted city ‘collage’ style wall hanging, will be 5 ft x 5 ft.
The majority of the pieces we need to create the city will be 2-D, but we think it would be nice to have some relief in features such as the trees and flowers
We are not too fussy about keeping everything in scale and perspective and we only have a few minor rules regarding the size of your pieces – in particular the size of the buildings, as we want to make sure that we can fit in everyone’s contributions.
· You can choose to make either a house or tall tower shaped building, or any other city feature you choose. We are very happy to receive trees, benches, flowers, cars, people, statues…. Anything you feel is relevant to a city and can be knitted or crocheted, if you are unsure if your idea will be relevant or not, drop us an e-mail and we’ll let you know.
· Buildings must not be any bigger than approx. 10cm wide and 20cm tall
· You can use any colours, yarns, patterns you like – the bolder the better! It would be nice to show a variety of knitting and crochet techniques in the work.
· Please make sure you let us know your name and location so we can credit you on our blog and in the exhibited piece.
· Once you have made your piece either pop it into the shop, or post it to us at:
PURL THE CITY
Purl City Yarns
62 Port Street
The staff here at Purl City Yarns will be sewing the city together each week and will make regular blog posts about how the city is coming together.
Follow the project at www.purlcityyarns.blogspot.com/purlthecity
How to redeem your 10% discount!
In order to redeem your discount, to either spend in store or at our online shop, you must first e-mail us at email@example.com quoting your name and what you are making.
We will then add you name to our database of contributors and once we have received your submission we will e-mail you a voucher with a code.
If you intend to come into the shop to use your voucher bring it along with you and give it to the cashier when you pay for your woolly goodies.
If you intend to use your voucher for an online purchase, please quote the voucher code when you pay for your items and you 10% discount will be taken off your purchase amount.
If you have any further questions about the project please e-mail :
and we’ll get straight back to you.